Thread: Paypal usage

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paypal usage

Right.... another idea for an informative thread.

I'm very...... cloudy on this too so can't really do it myself.
    I think it may be a good idea if we could put together a thread explaining how to use paypal in terms of forum selling/buying inc. insurance etc and general ethics for forum selling.

what types are there etc.... (oh and tell me if this is a bad idea overall)
    Last edited by Cosford; 26-03-2010 at 12:40.
    This is a signature...
    ... It's not a very good one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a good idea.

im of the impression that if you pay for an item using the "personal" then "goods" section. Paypal take a fee, and then you are covered via their insurance. So if yours deal turns sour. paypal will collect your cash from the seller, and refund you. I always try to use this option and add 4% to the amout owed so i pay the fees, not the seller.

If you use the old "personal payment owed" section. There is no cover at all. If anything goes wrong its tuff titty. For the sake of 4% is it worth being that tight?

In any case. Its always best to try and rectify any problems with the seller first. Asking paypal to sort a dispute out should be a last resort.

These are just my inturpritations of paypals rules. I may be wrong.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The pitfalls within PayPal are mainly with the seller.
    If you send your goods to an "Unverified" address, regardless of whether the goods are delivered or not, the buyer can open a dispute and get their money back. They then keep your goods.
    If the buyer has a "Verified" address and you send by recorded/registered delivery, then you are covered.

This changes, as I understand it, if the buyer pays for your goods using a Paypal E-Cheque.

Regardless of whether the buyer has a "Verified" address or not, if you send "Personal Payment Owed", then you are not covered.

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how can you tell which is a verified address, and how would you make yours verified?
    This is a signature...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglamb View Post
    If you use the old "personal payment owed" section. There is no cover at all. If anything goes wrong its tuff titty. For the sake of 4% is it worth being that tight?
    if you pay personal payment owed they still add the 4%. they just work it out for you and make sure the reciever of the money gets the correct amount.
    i could be wrong but when i have done it final amout taken out of account is higher. but now i know this won't be doing again.
    ukpsf 3970

Predator or prey? There is no in-between.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you sell something, it tells you if the address is verified or not. You have to go through the process of verifying your address by following the instructions on PayPal. They send you a letter to your address which contains a code. You then enter the code into your profile somewhere. A bit like verifying your bank account.

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah... okay... more valuable information to add to the list....

See i never knew that :P
    This is a signature...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky m View Post
    if you pay personal payment owed they still add the 4%. they just work it out for you and make sure the reciever of the money gets the correct amount.
    i could be wrong but when i have done it final amout taken out of account is higher. but now i know this won't be doing again.
    not quite true.
    If you have funds in your paypal account. Then the transaction is completly free.
    If your paypal account is empty, and paypal use you credit/debit card that you have linked to the account to complete the transaction then indeed they do add the 4% and make sure you pay it.

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it just charges you the 4% to use money from your bank/credit/debit whatever card.

So, a summary of the main points so far:
    - To send money from your paypal or bank accounts (if it is 'linked' to your paypal) is free but to pay by credit/debit card you must pay 3.4% + 20p (either you or the seller can pay this upon negotiation)
    - 2 methods of payment - personal payment owed (which gives you no cover but you don't have to pay extra fees)
    - Purchase of goods (The seller will have to 1.4 - 3.4% + 20p. Usually they will tell you to add this into the price you send over so they do not have to pay. This gives you some cover.)
    - If you send your goods to an "Unverified" address, regardless of whether the goods are delivered or not, the buyer can open a dispute and get their money back. They then keep your goods.
    If the buyer has a "Verified" address and you send by recorded/registered delivery, then you are covered. (Not sure we should tell people this :P otherwise they may get some.... ideas...)

so, what cover do you get from paying as 'payment for goods?'
    This is a signature...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giving this thread a quick bump as it looks as if a member on this forum has been scammed.

Unless you completely 100% trust the seller you should not send your Paypal payments as either "Payment Owed" or "Gift". Doing so will result in you losing all buyer protection if you happen to be scammed by the seller. Merely add 3.4% + 20p to the total price and you're covered! You don't even have to work it out as this site will do it for you: http://www.clothnappytree.com/ppcalculator/

In the box saying "For you to receive" simply type the cost of the item (for example 10) and it will come up automatically underneath the box saying how much you must send. Then when using Paypal, mark the payment as "Goods" and enter the amount shown and you're done. It really is as simple as that.

Would you risk sending 250 for a marker to a member with no vouches/feedback and a low post count, or would you rather be safe and pay a couple of extra pounds for protection?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When everything is agreed between the buyer and the seller, does the seller have to request the money from the buyer via paypal or does the buyer just send the money to the sellers paypal account?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by featherstone_95 View Post
    When everything is agreed between the buyer and the seller, does the seller have to request the money from the buyer via paypal or does the buyer just send the money to the sellers paypal account?
    It can be done either way although the most common way is the Seller sending their Paypal information to the Buyer via Private Message and then the Buyer sending the money through Paypal.

As long as the money is sent as "Goods", the Buyer is covered by Paypal if something goes wrong in the transaction.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks a lot.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Paypal usage

a quick summary if I may, because I have listed a preferred method of buying and selling via PayPal.

The below is taken from my website:

"Try to include PayPal fee's in your asking price. PayPal's fee's are "3.4% + 0.20 GBP" so try including this in your sales.
    so if your wanting 100, you'd add "3.40 + 20p = 3.60 = 103.60 in total then you can always add postage on top
    500 + 17.20 PayPal fee's = 517.20 item in total then you can add postage on top

We inform potential buyers that they should use "Goods" or "Services" as this provides buyer protection.

Send items that can be tracked, this will give the buyer ease knowing its on route and can be tracked, it'll also provide good proof for you in case the buyer tries to say they did not receive the item.

If you choose not to use a trackable method it's advised you get "Proof Of Postage"
    If you choose not to use "Goods" or "Services" then when you send the 100 to the seller, the seller will not receive 100, they will receive 96.40 as PayPal will take the 3.4% + 20p
    THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER BUYER PROTECTION
    Last edited by NinjaUK; 30-07-2013 at 18:37.
    Another New Paintball Forum