Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Effective Range of Paintballs

Hi All
    Im looking for a bit of practical info on the Range of paintballs fired from a standard paintball field marker.
    This is in relation to a design project for a Paintball field with a adjacent roadway 180ft from the protective fence.
    A quick Velocity/gravity calc shows the potential of a paintball to travel 200ft + when fired at a 45 degree plus from a marker with a velocity of 220fps.
    Is this the case or is range distance much less in reality?

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id say it would be less than that. Maximum effective range of a marker shooting 280 fps will be about 200 feet. At 220, if expect about 150 feet maybe?

Project sounds interesting though. Care to enlighten us a bit more?
    This is a signature...
    ... It's not a very good one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Sure. guess I should have taken the time to say hi and explain..
    This paintball field project (6 acres) is adjacent to a Main road and opposite a Army barracks just outside a busy seaside town , (cant say where though)
    I feel there is huge potential for a successful business here and for the investors the roadside placing is paramount rather than a more conventionally placed project.
    This placement not seen in the county before is raising some objections in the local planning who would like to See this placed in a much more remote location most likely.

Anyhow its all coming down to the range of paintballs and the likelihood of passing traffic been hit by stray balls or intentional shooting from the arenas.
    Im not a avid paintballer but have played at many sites over the years and I know that the markers can have much less range than expected

I see that a conventional calculation of speed/velocity versus gravity would overrate the range of a marked used at a paintball field hugely. not taking into account calibre, air resistance, wind loading etc.

Im looking for any suggestions as how the make the case to the authority
    The planner is not keen to come out for a field test
    Thanks in advance for any Replies/ suggestions

I've tagged on a early 3d render of the layout from the roadside
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmpphp4iFNk5.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	5260  

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High netted fences? The only field where you would realistically expect paint to be shot towards the road is the right hand one. If you flip that field 90 degrees, it would be far less likely for players to shoot that far. Do you have plans for any more fields? Also, what's the distance between the road and the field.
    Also I would suggest moving the car park somewhere further from the fields. Finally, where is your safe zone going to be situated?
    This is a signature...
    ... It's not a very good one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosford View Post
    . Finally, where is your safe zone going to be situated?
    the fields are surrounded by netting so the "safe zone" is anywhere outside the netting

the easiest way to do it is to go find a field somewhere and fire some paintballs and measure how far they go, remember to shoot quite a few to get an average and fire at different angles

o and if you use a top of the range marker, top paint with good bore match and fps set to 300fps youll have the worst case possible so shouldnt take you long to do

edit - you could always plant some trees by the road
    Last edited by glenn; 24-03-2011 at 14:32.
    BZ Zulus

Proud Owner of
    Manchester Firm Geo 2.1
    G6R

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At 280 fps, a paintball will travel the whole length of our Beirut field which is 120m. That's 393 feet.
    High netting will stop a stray ball, it won't stop someone intentionally shooting at your road.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info
    I intended to propose to planning to increase the arena barrier height to 3.25m plant a tree line & build a 2m fence on roadway.
    As well as emphasizing the Safety procedures in place at paintball facilities. no high shooting & marshalls to be on the lookout for this .
    The distance now from roadway to arena fence is 150 ft not much room left in the land available to move back any further and still have a variety of arena types.
    I usually Design & build event sites ie music festivals so the problems encountered in good paintball field design are new to me.
    appreciate the feedback.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

paintball effective range

paintball gun effective rangeeffective range of paintball gunwhat is the effective range of a paintball gunpaintball rangeeffective range paintballeffective range of a paintball guneffective range of paintballeffective range of paintball gunseffective range of a paintballmaximum effective range of a paintball gunpaintball marker effective rangeeffective range of a paintball markereffective range of paintballseffective range paintball guneffective paintball rangepowered by vBulletin paint ballwhat is the effective range of a paintballpowered by vBulletin paintballsaverage shot range in paintballmax effective range of a paintball gunpowered by myBB military barrackspowered by vBulletin range of a paintball fieldpaintball fence heightpaintball range effective
SEO Blog