Thread: Airsoft - Do you play

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Airsoft - Do you play

This isn't about how airsoft compares to paintball or visa versa. We've been doing masses of research into airsoft as we are starting it up at YPC and I have to say, it really looks good, the kit is superb and..........I've found loads of people who secretly play airsoft.

Do you play, if you do, where do you play.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't play but want to give it ago

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont play yet either, but I am sure Andy can help sort that out

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tried it for the 1st time last Sunday and I wasn't too keen. Maybe the 'clicky' nature of it. Did seem to be a lot of egos there.
    However, I would try it again but with Andy..

My Setup is:
    Markers: Planet Eclipse Gtek and Etek 5.
    UKPSF: 5429

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a go at it on Sunday, only 4 a side, not entirely convinced by it. Its okay but it's no paintball. Was shocked by how quick you go through batteries (although I was using 500 shot mags at 15 bps full auto so I suppose that'll do it), also the accuracy seemed poor even out of a top(ish) end Toyko Marui with a tight bore barrel.

I probably will play again but never seriously.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking into things, there is most certainly a better way to run events. I think they've always done it in a certain way and so that's how it's done.
    A bit like Scenario paintball before the Super6, there are always different ways to do things and improve them, but sometimes you can be so into something that you can't see it. (Can't see the wood for the trees etc).

We'll be ploughing our own furrow I think. I've looked into how these other events are run and I think they arn't all they could be.

My idea is short 15 min games, but high, non stop action (Which you can do when the ammo retails at 8 for 3000.) for rental customers.

In the future, when we've built up a walkon group (Which judging by the interest, won't be that long), I see a Super6 style game. 10 Bases, electronic flags, respawns, real sniper rifles, real cqb missions etc etc.

I'm actually very excited about where we can take airsoft and we most definately won't become a clone of everyone else. Well it's YPC, you wouldn't expect us to drop our standards,.

also the accuracy seemed poor even out of a top(ish) end Toyko Marui with a tight bore barrel.
    Surprised at that, the equipment we have is too accurate.

7. The Following Users Like This Funky Post That Andy-YPC Carefully Crafted:

Danibo160 (16-07-2013)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
    I also the accuracy seemed poor even out of a top(ish) end Toyko Marui with a tight bore barrel.
    Also surprised at that, my own Airsoft gun is really bloody accurate!

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK - now I am at work, here is my view on it.

On Sunday, I decided to give Airsoft a go, and found a club called Cerberus ( http://www.cerberusairsoft.co.uk ) based in Bradford. The have several game venues they alternate between ranging from:

- The Sandpit is an 80 acre York stone Quarry in West Yorkshire, overlooking Frizinghall and Bradford making it our most unusual site.
    - The Green Zone - used for smaller games, and training.
    - The Complex is our newest site. The location is a huge disused industrial facility near Leeds, West Yorkshire.
    - Bradford Woodland is our primary woodland site is set in a 540 acre forestry plantation near Keighley in the heart of Yorkshire.
    - Sheffield Woodland is a 100 acre woodland site near Sheffield, lower and easier in places than our primary woodland site at Rivock Edge, again it is a pine plantation, but more varied in areas.
    - Mystery Zone - TBC

I played at The Sandpit.

It was a cold morning and I got there around 8:45am. Was greeting with a bacon sarnie and I then registered. They allow 12 rental players to play, with full kit supplied. It cost 45 and with that, I got - Airsoft weapon, glasses, full camo clothing, assault vest and 2000 rounds of ammunition.

There were around 50-60 players, maybe more - different styles of clothing depending on the look they are trying to pull off ie
    LA Swat
    British Commando
    DEA officer
    Ukranian Army
    American Army

Walking around (I went by myself) I saw some other new players and they were talking to some of these regulars. The amount of negativity towards paintball was actually quite shocking. I went there wanting to enjoy both games, but they see paintballs as kids with toy guns. Let's forget that they have toy guns too... anyway, that was the impression I got.

We had a safety briefing - usually stuff. They told people the limits for the day ie because a couple of guys had new rifles, they upped the FPS for rifles/pistols from 350fps to 370fps. Single shot guns were 425fps and bolt action sniper rifles were 500fps.
    They also said "you will get hurt so we recommend you wear full face protection and dont have exposed skin". Not many people wore full face protection, and those that did wore mesh half masks.
    Also, there is no surrender rule, so if you sneak up on someone, you HAVE to shoot them.

Game started about 10am and from 10-1pm, it was a case of 'capture the 3 points and hold' style game. There were two massive stone hills and 1 stone building that needed to have 2 men on at all times to keep it. That was it. The players took everything so seriously - but they didn't use tactics.
    Instead of trying to take a few guys out from different angles (so that they couldn't defend themselves), they'd go at them head on, so all the opposition had to do, was slap it on full auto and spray and pray.

After a couple of hours of play, the area seemed to have hardly any people there. About 10 or so of our team were at spawn, sitting around not playing. Same for the other team. It made the game turn boring. Too big venue, too few players.

The gun I had was a kinda M4 Classic Army gun with a high-cap mag (requires winding to load the bbs). Range wasn't really any different from paintball markers. Probably less accurate too. Don't expect to be able to snipe people from afar. You can dodge shots and pelvic thrust the snipers to pee them off. I personally couldnt feel the hits on me - but you knew if you were hit as you 'heard it' hit. Yep, one instance when I had a shoot out with a 'regular'. He never shot me, but shouted out "You're hit - I watched it hit you!" - so rather than argue, I walked off - he never hit me.

At lunch time, we were fed pie and sausage rolls... I decided to head home. I'd used up the 2000 BBs I was given, and didn't want to spend 10 on 4,000 more. It also didn't grab me.

As I said, it felt like too much 'willy waving' and egos. Men playing soldiers. Don't get me wrong, i'd try it again but probably with Andy. Put it like this, before I went I was hell-bent on buying all the gear and on Sunday, I was convinced I would never play again until I spoke to Andy. Now i'd see how it goes with him (do you have hire kit?) and go from there.

Is it cheaper than paintball? Hmmm

Basic marker - 150-250 for an ok marker to play.
    Then you need 2 batteries.
    A few mags - they recommend mid-cap ones.
    mesh half mask.
    mesh goggles.
    Call it 250-350 to get your kit.

Expensive guns don't mean better guns, from speaking to people. Expensive guns fall over too often and you have to fix them a lot.

You have to join a club (i believe) which is 40-50 a year. Walkons are 20 for members, 25 for non members. BBs are about 10 for 3000-4000 BBs.

Also, some places have rules where if you are close to someone, you have to use a pistol. So pistols are around 100ish for a blow back one (sliding top, looks real) - then they run off of gas, like 'green gas'.

So maybe it is a tad cheaper than paintball, but hmmm I personally didn't find it as fun.

My Setup is:

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That sounds like walkon paintball 20 years ago. It definately needs Sablesing!!

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sablesing lol :P or Sableslising

You need to trademark that :P

My Setup is:

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have form for making up new words....It's a gift you know.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In seriousness, the whole thing needs deconstructing and then reconstructing.
    I've done 6 weeks of solid research into airsoft, which I think needed doing to get a handle on the existing game, how it works at the moment, how it can be improved and then how it can be offered to the public.

At present, it's quite an underground event, it's appealing to people with a military interest (I believe based on the TV presentation of war and the military). This is keeping it away from the mainstream. Existing players won't take kindly to new players coming in and blowing them away (There are still paintball teams around who are like this, their internet persona's don't reflect their ability on the field) and I think in airsoft, everyone wants to be the hero. Actually engaging in the game might show them for what they are, so they'll spend a lot of time in the safe area telling people how good they are, rather than showing how good they are.

I think the emphasis needs to be on fun and game play, rather than military simulation. You can have military props coming out of your eyeballs, but if the actual part where you shoot at things isn't compelling or fun, then it's wasted.

The existing format, seems to be long games where not much happens. I think this needs to change to shorter games where loads happens and you come out of a game after 15 mins exhausted but exhilarated.
    The big games, need to be Super6 clones, multi level for all types of player, where personal achievements can be made, as well as for the team.

Imagine Chocolate Factory with Machine Guns.
    It's going to be a ride, that's for sure.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!! Ive been working for 13 years less than half a mile from that place and never once have i heard of it before!!

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattchew View Post
    WOW!! Ive been working for 13 years less than half a mile from that place and never once have i heard of it before!!
    Cerberus aren't a fixed site... they have a couple of games a month - at different locations
    It's actually quite well organised, with portable toilets etc

My Setup is:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked up an airsoft big game and the faction you could join depended on what guns and uniform and kit you had. Not saying thats a bad thing but its got to be offputting for a newplayer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visitors found this page by searching for:

airsoft.do.am

airsoft commando team yorkshire

SEO Blog